What Does the 1920’s Mean to Me Now?….. (Zach Roth)

One phrase I would use to describe the 1920’s is prosperity and innovation. Prior to this class I had some knowledge of the 1920’s from classes throughout my life, general history, and films and books.  Since the beginning of this course, I have learned even more about the 1920’s.  My initial post about what I knew about the 1920’s is correct, but missing a few facts that I have learned this semester. 

The 1920’s was a time of prosperity, innovation, excitement, and change in the United States.  It was a period of significant cultural, social, and economic change. In my initial post, I spoke about flappers, speakeasies, jazz clubs, prohibition, and women’s rights.  These things are all symbols of this era, but there are other important aspects of this time that I did not mention. 

For the first time in American society, people had a more disposable income that allowed them to partake in more activities in their leisure-time such as sporting events, cars, and night clubs.  This is in part due to the rise of the stock market and investing.  The stock market grew immensely in the 1920’s, allowing many people to grow their wealth while also growing the economy of the era. Due to the economy growth, consumerism grew rapidly as well.  People were able to purchase many things that were not owned by common-folk before this time such as cars, radios, and other new technologies.

Crime also grew in this period partially because of the 18th amendment also known as prohibition.  Due to this, bootlegging and illegal speakeasies grew rapidly because of society’s craving for night life and alcohol. 

Women’s suffrage took many large steps during this time as well.  Women gained the right to vote in 1920, and throughout the decade they gained many other victories in the fight for more rights.  People like Margaret Sanger were willing to be imprisoned in order to advocate for more rights for women.  This period paved the way for more equality to come in later years for women.

There was also a large cultural movement in this period.  I had mentioned in my initial post that flappers and the jazz era were huge parts of the 1920’s and that still stands, but there was also a higher celebration of African-American art such as jazz music, but more than that the Harlem Renaissance.  This was a celebration of African-American arts, literature, and culture.  

To me the 1920’s, for many reasons, stands out as one of the most interesting periods of American history.  If I had to tell someone what the 1920’s was like I would start by saying it seems like it would have been a really cool and exciting time to live in the United States.  I would also tell them that it was a time of exotic clothing, music, invention, and art.  I feel as if I had a general sense of the important aspects of the 1920’s prior to this course, but I did learn some new things about the roaring 20’s as well as get some expansion on what I already knew.